Brief Profile Of Senaka Fernando MBE, ACA, CPA, CIM
Having arrived in Cambodia in September 1994 to set up the practice of Ernst & Young in the Kingdom, I was one of the pioneers in the audit and accounting profession. When I arrived in the Kingdom, there were no professionally qualified Cambodians within the profession. I am proud that I was able to recruit, train and guide many of the leading professionals in Cambodia now. When Ernst & Young decided to temporarily suspend their operations in June 2000, I combined the then Ernst & Young firm with the practice of PricewaterhouseCoopers Cambodia in July 2000. I finished my stint in the profession in Cambodia in July 2010 when my job was done and dusted and the role was localized. I take it positively that I have done my job and what was expected of me and I am a victim of my own success. I continue to have a great and a wonderful relationship with the current management of PricewaterhouseCoopers Cambodia.
Thereafter, I continued with the profession indirectly as the Country Head of ACCA (Association of Chartered Certified Accountants) and as the Center Manager of FTMSGlobal Academy (Cambodia) Pte Limited.
Therefore in conclusion, I have worked for 29 years in my life and 22 years in the profession with Ernst & Young Sri Lanka, Vietnam and Cambodia and with PricewaterhouseCoopers in Cambodia, 5 years in the Accountancy Education Sector in Cambodia with ACCA and FTMS and the remainder of 2 the years as an Individual Consultant. I will bring all this rich and valuable experience to the development and success of Funan Consulting.
Outside of my professional qualifications, I was conferred with the title of Member of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire (MBE) by HM Queen Elizabeth II on 23 February 2009 for the promotion of UK Trade and Investment in Cambodia. Please refer to the link for one of the many interviews I have conducted with H.E. Sok Siphana on the popular TV station SEATV. This is to substantiate my role in the development of the accountancy profession here in the Kingdom of Cambodia. Copy this link to your Web Browser for viewing.
Subsequently, after being involved with International Firms, I have decided that I would like to help in whatever way I cam to develop the local accounting firms such as Funan Consulting and also develop the capacity of their staff. This is my commitment to the development of the Cambodian Accounting Profession. Cambodia has graciously hosted me as a foreigner for more than 23 years and I have an obligation to give back in whatever way I can to this great country that is tagged “The Kingdom of Wonder”.
I hold the following special titles.
- MBE – Member of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire conferred on 23 February 2009 by H.M. Queen Elizabeth II
- Former Treasurer and Secretary General of the Cambodian Employers Federation (CAMFEBA) and also the Head of the Finance and Administration Committee and the Training and Development Committee and a Board Member for 14 years that ended on 31 March 2016
- Honorary Life Member of Britcham Cambodia
- Honorary Member of the International Business Chamber of Cambodia (IBCC)
- Honorary Secretary and Treasurer of the Beefsteak and Burgundy Club – Phnom Penh Chapter (www.bsb.org.au)
- Corporate Advisory Board Member of the National University of Management of Phnom Penh, Cambodia.
I have the following educational and professional qualifications.
- Associate Member of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Sri Lanka that is affiliated with the Institute of Chartered Accountants of England and Wales (ACA – Membership number A 1986)
- Active Member of the Kampuchea Institute of Certified Public Accountants and Auditors (CPA Cambodia – Membership number 0009-IP)
- Member of the Chartered Institute of Marketing – London based in Colombo, Sri Lanka as a Branch
- Intending in obtaining the membership of the Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (Final part pending)
- Passed the Licentiate Examination given by the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Sri Lanka
- Educated at St. Joseph’s College, Colombo 10, Sri Lanka up to the G.C.E. Advanced Level
I am a Sri Lankan national and born on 09 January 1970. I am married to Benilda (a Filipina born on 21 April 1969 who is an Audit Director at PricewaterhouseCoopers Cambodia) and have two daughters Nadia (Born on 06 June 1997) and Nadine (Born on 27 November 2001). I have been living in Cambodia since 05 September 1994.
My previous work experienced cover Vietnam and Sri Lanka.
For additional information, do a Google search and type in Senaka Fernando in Cambodia.